Anthony P. Cho
“Whoever tells the best story wins.”
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Post-Grant Proceedings
- Patent Prosecution
- J.D., University of Michigan Law School, 1992
- B.A., Dartmouth College (Physics), 1989
- State Bar of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Successfully argued before the Federal Circuit that the appointment of judges at the PTAB violated the Appointment Clause of the Constitution and led the appellate team that prevailed at the Supreme Court (see Arthrex, Inc. v. Smith & Nephew, Inc.; United States v. Arthrex, Inc.).
- Led trial team in a patent infringement action involving a number of medical devices. Both sides raised claims of infringement against one another. Our team prevailed – obtaining a $17,400,000 judgment for our client and a no cause of action on the defendant’s counterclaim.
- Secured a favorable result for a client in a misappropriation of trade secrets case, requiring the defendant to license our client’s technology and publicly admit wrongdoing.
- Successfully defended an orthopedic device manufacturer in a lawsuit brought by a large competitor seeking to enjoin the client from selling knee implants.
- Prevented the fraudulent resale of grey market goods by a competitor purchasing patented products through unapproved sources.
- Successfully defended an OEM automotive supplier in a lawsuit involving an SUV top.
- Obtained judgment in an IPR proceeding against a Non-Practicing Entity disposing of patent infringement lawsuit.
- SuperLawyers, Top Rated Intellectual Property Attorney
PUBLICATIONS AND SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
- Speaker at Supreme Court IP Review held by Chicago-Kent College of Law, 2021.
- Speaker at Intellectual Property Law Institute, 46th Annual Seminar, 2021.
- Speaker at ABA seminar, “Tips for Appealing Novel Issues of Law and other Recent Developments in Appellate Advocacy on USPTO Decisions,” 2020.
- ALI-ABA’s Practice Checklist Manual on Advising Business Clients, Contributor, 2004.
- “Traps for Small Businesses that Ignore Patents,” The Practical Lawyer, December 2002.
- “Legal Attributes of High Technology Markets: the Outcome Determinative Role of Market Definition,” ALI-ABA Course Materials, 1999.
- Medical Devices
- Michigan IP Inn of Court, Master
- Michigan Intellectual Property Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Oakland County Bar Association